1. DESCRIPTION, AIMS AND SCOPE
3. ABSTRACTING AND INDEXING
4. EDITORIAL PROCESS & PEER REVIEW
5. AUTHOR’S DECLARATIONS
1) DESCRIPTION, AIMS AND SCOPE
“Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” is an international, peer-reviewed, open access journal, engaged in publishing original and review articles of the highest quality in a wide range of basic, clinical and experimental research areas, covering all aspects of human health. It is the official journal of the Balkan Medical Union (BMU) and is published 4 times a year. “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” also publishes abstracts of papers presented at the annual scientific sessions of the Balkan Medical Union (BMU). The journal provides a forum for the exchange of information on all aspects of clinical and experimental medicine, including educational, historical, philosophical, economic, social, bioethics and technological issues, especially for (but not restricted to) Balkan countries.
The Editorial Board of the Archives of Balkan Medical Union and the Publisher adheres to the principles of the International Council of Medical Journal Editors (ICMJE), the World Association of Medical Editors (WAME), the Council of Science Editors (CSE), the Committee on Publication Ethics (COPE), the US National Library of Medicine (NLM), the World Medical Association (WMA), the US Office of Research Integrity (ORI), the European Association of Science Editors (EASE), and the International Society of Managing and Technical Editors (ISMTE).
Specialists in all areas of medicine and pharmacy. For detailed, current information, browse the “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” Homepage http://www.umbalk.org. Here you will find the current table of contents, complete with abstracts and full-text articles, references, tables and figures. The “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” homepage also features other important information on permissions, advertising contacts, and related products.
Printed copies of the journal are distributed to over 100 university libraries in 10 Balkan countries, the library of the Academy of Medicine of France and all around the World. All articles are also available in PDF format on our website (www.umbalk.org) and can be downloaded free of charge.
3) ABSTRACTING AND INDEXING
- Index Copernicus
- EMBASE/Excerpta Medica
- Chemical Abstracts
- DOAJ (Directory of Open Access Journals)
- Scientific World Index
- Science Library Index
- Open Academic Journals Index (OAJI)
- Google Scholar
- Harvard Library
- Biblioteca Academiei Române
- Gold Rush Open Access Library
- Directory of Research Journals Indexing (DRJI)
4) EDITORIAL PROCESS & PEER REVIEW
- REVIEW OF MANUSCRIPTS
All manuscripts submitted to the “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” will be assessed first by the Editorial Board. Some manuscripts will be returned to authors at this stage if they are deemed more appropriate for another journal, if the paper fails to meet submission requirements, or if they are deemed to have insufficient priority. Submissions that advance in the publication process will undergo appropriate blind peer review by at least two independent reviewers, and all papers provisionally accepted for publication will undergo a detailed statistical review. If there is no clear consensus between the 2 reviewers, the manuscript will be reviewed by a 3rd referee. The review period is expected to last between 2-4 weeks, aiming always to obtaining a high quality assessment of the submitted materials by international experts in the relevant field.
All accepted manuscripts are peer-reviewed and carefully corrected in style and language, if necessary, to make presentation clear (there is no fee for this service). Every effort is made (a) to maintain the personal style of the author’s writing and (b) to avoid change of meaning. Authors will be requested to examine carefully manuscripts which have undergone language correction at the pre-proof or proof stage.Authors should pay attention to the following points when writing an article for “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union”:
• The Instructions to Authors must be followed in every detail.
• The presentation of the experimental methods should be clear and complete in every detail facilitating reproducibility by other scientists.
• The presentation of results should be simple and straightforward in style. Results and discussion should not he combined into one section, unless the paper is short.
• Results given in figures should not be repeated in tables.
• Photographs should be clear with high contrast, presenting the actual observation described in the legend and in the text. Each legend should provide a complete description, being self-explanatory, including technique of preparation, information about the specimen and magnification.
• Statistical analysis should be elaborated wherever it is necessary. Simplification of presentation by giving only numerical or % values should be avoided.
• Fidelity of the techniques and reproducibility of the results, should be points of particular importance in the discussion section. Authors are advised to check the correctness of their methods and results carefully before writing an article. Probable or dubious explanations should be avoided.
• The References section should provide as complete a coverage of the literature as possible including all the relevant works published up to the time of submission.
• By following these instructions, Authors will facilitate a more rapid review and processing of their manuscripts and will provide the readers with concise and useful papers.
Articles submitted to “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” may be rejected without review if:
• they do not fall within the journal’s policy.
• they do not follow the instructions for authors.
• language is unclear.
• results are not sufficient to support a final conclusion.
• results are not objectively based on valid experiments.
• they repeat results already published by the same or other authors before the submission to the “Archives of he Balkan Medical Union”.
• plagiarism is detected by plagiarism screening services.The Editor-in-Chief is responsible for the final decision of each submission.
- MANUSCRIPT ACCEPTANCE
The Editor-in-Chief will notify the corresponding author if the submited manuscript has been accepted for publication. If revisions are solicited by the reviewers, a revised manuscript must be returned to the editorial office as stipulated in the relevant decision letter.
It is a condition of publication in the “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” that authors grant an exclusive licence to the Balkan Medical Union. This ensures that requests from third parties to reproduce articles are handled efficiently and consistently and thus ensures that the article is disseminated as widely as possible. As part of the licence agreement, authors may use their own material in other publications, provided the BMU is acknowledged as the original place of publication and is notified in writing in advance.
- PLAGIARISM DETECTION
The Archives of Balkan Medical Union is committed to the highest standards of research and publication ethics, and does not allow any form of plagiarism. All submitted manuscripts are screened with plagiarism software (Sem Plag) at least two times during the evaluation process to detect instances of overlapping and similar text.
Page proofs will be submitted to the corresponding author electronically. These should be checked thoroughly for any changes or typographic errors.
It is the editor’s intent to review and correct the proofs and publish the accepted work as soon as possible. To achieve this, it is mandatory that all corrections are returned within three days. Subsequent additional corrections will not be possible, hence please ensure that all amendments are marked up comprehensively in the proofs.
- ARTICLE PUBLISHING CHARGES:
there is a publication fee of 400 RON (approx. 90 Euros) per article, if the first author/corresponding author is a member of Balkan Medical Union (with the yearly fee paid). For non-members, the publication fee is 500 RON/article (approx. 110 Euros). This fee is payable only if the article has been accepted for publication. There is no article processing charges. If substantial language corrections are necessary, an additional fee may be applied.
- AUTHOR INQUIRIES
For inquiries relating to submitted articles or to articles currently under review, please contact the “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” editorial office at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The mailing address for “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union” and the Editor-in-Chief is:
Dr. Camelia Diaconu, MD, PhD, FESC, FACC, FACP, FEFIM
Editor-in-Chief, “Archives of the Balkan Medical Union”
1 Georges Clemenceau street, Bucharest, Romania
phone 0040 726 377 300, e-mail email@example.com.
The Archives of the Balkan Medical Union Journal requires that each author, reviewer, and editor must disclose to the editor-in-chief any conflict of interest related to family, personal, financial, political or religious issues as well as any competing interest. Whether or not a conflict of interest and financial support exist, they must be declared at the ICMJE Conflict of Interest form as well as at the end of the manuscripts. If a reviewer, an associate editor, or a section editor has a conflict of interest and/or believes that it is not appropriate to be a reviewer, or an editor for a given manuscript, the reviewer or the editor should resign from the assignment. The Editorial Board members of the Archives of the Balkan Medical Union Journal, who handle submissions and recommend decisions to the Editor-in-chief may also submit their own manuscripts to the journal as all of them are active researchers and scientists. However, they cannot take place at any stage in the editorial decision of their manuscripts in order to minimize any possible bias. They will be treated like any other author, and if any, final acceptance of such manuscripts can only be made at the positive recommendation of at least two external reviewers, who are not the members of decision-making Editorial Board.